Julie's Online Travelogue

I earned myself a year to travel the world and find adventure. I will bear freezing temperatures on the ascent to Everest basecamp, contract traveler's diarrhea in India, and teach English to Thai students. This will be the trip of a lifetime.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

On Route

The night before we left for trekking, I took on Thamel, Katmandu by myself. After wandering into an internet cafe and outfitter's shop, I couldn't find a cab back to the hotel. The streets filled with crowds of people and some roads had been blocked off. I figured that if I walked in the same direction, I would eventually find a major street with an empty cab. No such luck. I followed crowds through small winding streets; poor elderly woman sat on the stoop outside their one room homes, holding babies in their laps. Women were shouting from above and chickens clucked in their noisy cages. Finally, I wound up in a smaller square with a big stupa, similar to that of Bodnath (white domed, a gold crown, and blue painted eyes). Finally, I hailed a rickshaw and bumped along the cobblestoned road all the way home.

We left Katmandu for Lukla at 5 in the morning on a 16 person plane. Albert (the Georgian guide), Albert (DC lawyer client), David Mink (our family friend), Dad, and I braced ourselves for the landing, onto a 400 foot square landing strip. At the end of the runway, there was a deathly cliff and 700 foot-drop valley. No wonder is considered the second most dangerous airport in the world,; the first, I don't know. We started trekking... through smaller Sherpa villages of Pakding, Monju, and Jorsale. Along the way, we pass herds of tso (mix of cow and yak). Sherpas hurry past us with 100 pound packs of rice and lentils for their families, as well as beer, bottled water, and camping equipment for buying tourists. The people are all so friendly; they smile as they pass us with a "namaste!" Right now, we are in Namche Bazar at 11350 feet, where we will be staying to acclimitize. Everyone is dong well: Dad is moving along the trail without any problems, and the altitude has not posed a problem for anyone in our group. Tomorrow, we will continue up towards Periche.

7 Comments:

  • At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the update. Got dad's email today. Sounds like everything is great. Can't wait to hear more and more and more. 7 days in to your trip already. I can't believe it. Have a great time and I miss you.

     
  • At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your trip sound amazing and I am glad you are having such a great time. I wish I could be there with you. I check the blog a few times a day to see if there is anything new. Keep it comming. Love Dave

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love reading about your trip Julie!Thanks so much for taking the time to write. It's sounds so amazing in every way. All that is missing are pictures. Hugs to uncle arthur. stay well. xxoo

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fascinating, thanks for all your updates. A trip of a lifetime. I think you and your Dad are absolutely interesting and adventurous people. Be safe and have a great time. Love Selma

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Julie! I didn't realize that you would have access to e-mail for this part of your trip. I loved reading your stories and I look forward to more. We love you and miss you already. Hugs to you and your dad and David - hurry home!

    -Jess

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Julie! I didn't realize that you would have access to e-mail for this part of your trip. I loved reading your stories and I look forward to more. We love you and miss you already. Hugs to you and your dad and David - hurry home!

    -Jess

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Julie,
    Thanks to Andrea i got your blogdress today, erev halloween. been dying to know how it go. Talked to Carolyn. She says you are fine, but the guys are a bit slower. Hope you are all good soon. Once I start tuning in, will give you another comment. just wanted to say hey. so, hey
    love,
    as ever
    Stanley

     

Post a Comment

<< Home